A Forever-Home Rescue Foundation (AFH) is a non-profit organization that works to find loving “Forever Homes” for dogs and pups in need. AFH operates strictly on our adoption fees and the generous donations of the public. All donations go directly to the benefit of the animals in our care – please give generously!
Our Adoption Process
- Review our Adoption Process Overview (this document) for important information regarding adopting from A Forever Home Rescue Foundation.
- Select your dog or puppy. Our available dogs can be viewed online on our website at www.aforeverhome.org. They can be met virtually or at one of our adoption events. To meet a particular dog or pup virtually you must first submit your application (see item #3.) You will then be put in touch with their foster care provider who will arrange a meet-and-greet.
- Submit an Application. Our Adoption Application can be found on our website www.aforeverhome.org. Applications can be submitted via fax to 1-866-863-6890 or email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. An application must be submitted before you can meet any of our dogs virtually. You can identify more than one dog of interest on your application. Once your application has been submitted, it will be forwarded to the appropriate foster care provider. You should hear back from the foster concerning any questions you have about the dog of interest and also about coordinating a virtual meet-and-greet. If you attend an adoption event, you can submit an application at that time.
- Application Processing. Applications are not processed until you have met the dog virtually or in person, chosen, and committed to adopting a particular dog or pup. Applications are processed on a first-come-first-served basis. The processing order is determined by when the application is received. NOTE: Processing normally takes no more than one week from the time your application has been received and you have selected an animal, to the point at which you will sign the contract and receive your pup or dog. When submitting your application, please make sure you can be available to sign the adoption contracts at Webers Pet Supermarket in Chantilly, Virginia, and that you will be able to pick up the newly adopted pet from the foster on the same day as you sign the contracts. Note that you do not need to live in the Washington Metro area; however, you must come to personally sign the adoption contract and pick up your dog. If you are a previous adopter or a foster parent, you will still be required to fill out another application and go through the approval processing.
- Virtual interview and homecheck. As a first step in processing your application, you will be interviewed and have a virtual homecheck completed by one of our adoption counselors. This is the time for you to ask any questions that you may have about the organization and about the adoption process. This interview and homecheck will be done via Zoom or another virtual meeting platform. All interviewed applications are then sent to the review committee for approval to move on to the next step in processing. If you are a previous adopter you must also be interviewed.
- Vet Check. If you own or have owned a companion animal we will contact your vet for a reference check for any animals that you have been responsible for as an adult. Please make sure to contact your vet to give them authorization for us to speak to them.
- Contract Signing. Once your interview, homecheck, and vet check have been completed and the review committee has approved your application, you will be contacted by email to give you final instructions for your contract signing. For your planning purposes, the contract signing will take place at Webers Pet Supermarket in Chantilly, Virginia. You should review our Adoption Contract and Spay/Neuter Agreement before you commit to adopting one of our dogs. After the contract signing, you MUST pick up your newly adopted pet from their foster on the same day as you sign the adoption contracts.
- Certified funds or cash only. AFH cannot accept personal checks or credit cards. The $500 adoption processing fee must be paid in full by certified funds or cash at the time of the contract signing. While totally optional, AFH welcomes tax-deductible donations that can be made in addition to the adoption fee. Thank you in advance for your support.
- Take your new pup or dog home. Congratulations, you have successfully completed the adoption process and have your new pet. In order to ensure your pet’s safety, please take a moment to attach the AFH tag that was included in your adoption packet, as well as your own I.D. tag, to a collar and put it on your dog. You should be certain that the collar is fitted correctly so it doesn’t slip off of the dog’s neck. Ask your AFH foster provider if you need help. Statistics show that the highest risk time for a dog to get lost is within the first 24 hours of arriving at a new home. Don’t let your dog be a statistic.